Monthly product update: July 22

Hey Martians,

It’s August already, and our product team have something great to share with you all.

Top 3 product achievements:

1. Mining missions gameplay has been significantly improved. It’s still in-development, and so far we just launch a test version (see here), but we are already working on phase 2 - adding proper UI, sand worms attack mechanic and energy barrels resource.

Mining mission early interface

1. Referral program is live. Mars Colony App. Now anyone can join the campaign and promote polygon lands, earning fees and brining your friends to our Meta.

2. Back-end and front-end infrastructure has been significantly improved, enabling higher throughput and improving speed of launching new interface updates.

Product objectives for August and September

1. Player engagement (number of missions played, average time spent on playing land, user retention)

2. Polygon community growth (land sales, missions plays and engagement)

With that being said, here are the list of initiatives we are going to be focusing on

Polygon growth:

• Slashing rewards for users who don’t claim passive income within 36 hours.
  • Allowing users to claim land on Polygon for hCLNY (Colony token from Harmony)
  • Enabling free to play (allow users with no avatars to take part in Mars missions)

Player engagement and retention

• App UI revamp - adding sidebar and making app more user-friendly and understandable for landowners and players.
  • Open utility crates and obtain utility NFTs - feature that unlocks utility NFTs for mining missions
  • Mining mission & play-to-earn transition -our first strategy-type mission where a players’ goal will be to mine resource with limited number of steps, avoid sand worms and return safely to base.
  • Avatars & missions launch on Polygon
  • Buffs/ de-buffs from avatar professions, levels and rarity
  • In-game leaderboard
  • In-app land marketplace
  • In-app game utility NFTs marketplace
  • System : gas /fees management

Features de-prioritized:

• Robot missions
  • Polygon DEX

In addition to, there are a few questions that you guys raised during the AMA that require better clarification:

• Liquidity on polygon
    E> we are preparing a proposal. In the meantime, feel free to share your thoughts and ideas on this.
  • Passive/active income split
    E> We will take a look at 50% proposal split and share our thoughts on it.

Anything else, let us know your thoughts.
Mars colony product team

7 Likes

Not a fan of this. If people take vacation you are penalizing them. If you really want support for this, then extend this beyond 2 weeks. 3 days is not reasonable.

If you want to grow your user base you have to be concerned about the user.

1 Like

I disagree, a vacation is in essence a break from productivity. If you wish to continue working on vacation to keep things moving forward in your professional life, then you accommodate accordingly. If you wish to continue earning in-game on vacation, accommodate accordingly(bring a device you can use for two minutes every day and a half to claim rewards.)

Keep up the solid dev, team :muscle:

1 Like

Will narrative ever become a priority? There is no story to this game whatsoever. At one point, I think we had alien pet-owners or something like that, but that narrative never got off the ground. Then I think we got random messages from aliens (encryption). But that has no connection to anything else. Now I think we might have worms? But again, what’s the connection? No narrative got off the ground. There is no narrative. Why are we on Mars? Why are there two Mars planets? How do they interact and relate? Why are we mining stuff? What are we mining? What are these aliens? What are these worms?

If we don’t know and that’s the narrative, that’s fine. That’s great. But there is no narrative string connecting any elements. It’s like we’re just throwing out sci-fi tropes and hoping they stick because we’ve learned that they “should be part of sci-fi.”

I’ve said it before: narrative matters. We don’t have a story. Everything is a story. So if we don’t have one, we don’t have anything. Brother, I know, was beginning to put together a narrative, but has anyone taken on that responsibility since then? Or are we just pretending like we don’t need it?

In short, none of this tech, back-end, who’s on vacation, who’s not, bridging, pCLNY, matters if we don’t have a story that develops and changes, that has characters and conflicts and themes, and internal consistency. I’m on Mars and I have no idea why.

1 Like

Weekly product update:

10th sprint is over and here’s what it has brought to us:

1. Global UI revamp is 75% done and will be ready for tests this week.

2. Mining mission UI and new 3d assets will be soon ready to make 2nd iteration of mining mission beta test.

3. Utility crates opening is in progress and contract migration will be soon too.

4. Polygon avatars minting has been delayed a bit due to some tech issues but still coming up pretty soon.

6 Likes

@father @eugenefinch Can this concern be addressed in some way? Narrative simply seems to be unimportant to the team. If that is the case, this project is in shambles far beyond what we can see from the outside. And if that’s not the case, then I think we need to be reassured that you are working on developing narrative in some form or fashion.

I am not trying to criticize just for criticism’s sake. I firmly believe that narrative is of utmost importance in the web3 space. Stories hold people together. Stories hold worlds together. Right now, this community is in shambles, and Mars is in shambles because there is no story. Look at the best web3 projects right now. They have stories that bind their communities and their worlds.

2 Likes

Hi
We do have a story and the lore. Checkout our guide

Weekly product update:

11th Sprint has finished. Here are couple of updates:

1. Global UI revamp layout is done and now will be tested so the release is pretty soon. :eyes:

2. Utility crates contract migration was successfully made and crates droprate increased x3 for a while.

3. Polygon gas management was implemented. No more failed and slow transactions now!

4. Utility crates unlocking SC and Mining mission gear metaserver are done, dynamic price range and unlocking UI layout are in development.

5. Polygon avatars are ready and will be released this week. :space_invader:

6. 2nd iteration of mining mission playable model (including new UI + 2 new game objects and new mechanic + old mechanics corrections) is now in development :fire:

7 Likes

Fair enough, but my point is that the narrative needs development. Most of this is just background fluff. There are no characterization, no development, no themes. It’s just fluff.

We need some way to develop, as a community, some lore. We need some dynamism to this narrative. I said before, I don’t want to plug other communities, but look at what Nuclear Nerds is doing. They’re making a way for the community to actually develop a narrative. Narrative matters.

2 Likes

would not be thrilled to connect my wallet in any of those spaces on a vacation … not secure !
not a great idea at all … whats the purpose of taking something from someone that you promised to give them?

Weekly product update:

12th Sprint is over and here’s the updates:

1. We have released overall UI revamp. Full details you can read here.

2. Also the first batch of 7.000 avatars was released on Polygon chain. You can read about minting process and what are the NFT avatars needed for here or mint one for you here.

3. Utility crates unlocking and gear obtaining is still in progress. Explanation post is here.

4. 2nd iteration of playable model of mining mission is in progress too.

5. Also we have started designing some improvements to the new UI.

6. After the avatars release we are planning to launch missions on Polygon chain so we will start working on this really soon.

2 Likes

Excellent work! You guys are cranking out updates lately :muscle:

After seeing the recolor on the Polygon avatars I am actually pretty OK with them. Some of us had discussed the different species intention but think things are fine now. The color re-design for some are pretty darn cool!

Several of us are stacking Polygon avatars and will continue to do so until the 7k mint completes. I would like to suggest that avatars be able to be sorted or reorganized within the “PLAY” page. In order of guesstimated priority:

1. Manual sort and place
  2. Sort via rarity
  3. Sort via profession

The reason for this request is to sort between the avatars I want to hold (bottom) and ones I want to actually play and use (top). I already had this problem with Harmony Mars but now its going to be a bit harder with Polygon Mars. Would ideally like to see this across both chains.

Keep up the good work :v:

4 Likes

Weekly product update:

13th Sprint is over and here’s what it has brought to us:

1. Utility crates unlocking will be released today! Read about it here.

2. 2nd iteration of mining mission playable model is now finished and ready for new fixes/improvements. We’ll share it with you soon.

3. We continued working on mining mission backend.

4. Also we have some UI fixes and new parts testing and coming up soon.

5. And the last thing is that we started working on User identity first iteration design.

1 Like

Weekly product update:

14th Sprint is over and here’s the updates:

1. New UI parts (including new wallet ui and avatar filtering) and fixes are in progress still.

2. Mining mission backend is in progress too.

3. Missions on polygon (according to its tokenomics and rewards distribution) are still in progress too. :pleading_face:

4. User identity design is being finalized and will be transfer to frontend soon.

3 Likes