Tokenomics Question

I have a question regarding tokenomics. With CLNY being the governance token, how are landowners represented in governance who pump their CLNY back into upgrades?

Added from Discussion:

Blockquote

@TriTDX how it should be represented?

@father This is a good question. One to which I currently don’t have an answer to. Initial thoughts include landowners hold a unique token that is specific to land owners. The upgrades for each land can be calculated based on its current status of upgrades and the total combined upgrade value can be used to determine voting power in terms of colony. This raises an initial issue I posted somewhere else where CLNY is being used as the governance token, I think a separation of money supply / commerce is needed from the actual governance. The amount of CLNY held can certainly be factored into the governance (representative of the “Rich”) but should it should not be the driving factor in making decisions about direction? When adding NFTs that represent settlers come into play, these too will need to be considered into the governance as they will represent the citizens of Mars. I keep going back to the basic premise that this is meant to be a game, and yes, money (investment) is involved, the governance should be based on a representation of game play, where the players (users of NFTs, land and settler) are at the forefront of the decision making. CLNY is the money supply in the game, ONE is the vehicle used for the purchase of NFTs that support the gameplay.

Should the money supply be how the game is governed? Investors who have no real interest in the game, should have the least amount of say in the direction the game should go. I know this changes the original intent behind the use of CLNY as the governing token but I do think that the NFTs for settlers and land plots should be the driving force behind governance. A token that represents these are needed, where the outside holders of CLNY would be given a partial vote to the governance.

Because the intent of this game is to “Play and Earn” one should have to “Play” not just hold a token to have say in the governance of the ecosystem. There is no real skin in the game with folks who just buy and hold CLNY. So the concept of “Play” for addresses that just hold CLNY aren’t really “Playing”, they are just HODLing for a pay day.

Long story short, I think CLNY should not be used as the governance token. Perhaps something like “Citizen (Settler NFT)”, “Aristrocrat (land owner NFT)”, and “CLNY (Investor)” all have a share and weighted average based on “participation” in the ecosystem which then are used to provide and calculate a "MarsGovernanceVote (MGV) " token that is used for voting within the DAO.

Example:

Assumptions:

Citizen NFT receives 100 MGV
Aristrocrat NFT receives 250 (Initial Cost in ONE) MGV per landplot base + 1 MGV per CLNY spent on upgrades i.e. Basestation + level 1 Transport for a total count of 250 + 30 + 120 = 400 MGV which includes upgrades and base land plot value.
Investor (CLNY Holder) receives .01 per CLNY held of MGV

Player A owns 1 Citizen NFT and 1 Aristrocrat NFT which has a basestation and a level 1 transport, and holds 5000 CLNY in LP and wallet.

Player B owns 10 citizen NFTs, 2 Aristroctat NFTs [1 with a basestation + level 1 transport + level 1 powerstation + level 1 robot assembley] [1 with a basestation ] , and 250 CLNY in LP and wallet.

Player C owns 20000 CLNY in LP and Wallet

Player A receives: 100 + 250 + 30 + 120 + ( 5000 x .01 = 50 ) = 550 MGV
Player B receives: 1000 + (2 x 250 = 500) + (2 x 30 = 60) + 120 + 120 + 120 + (250 x .01 = 2.5) = 1922.5 MGV

Player C receives: 20000 x .01 = 200 MGV

A system for balancing this all out could be established to give Player A + B more of a say and it could be tied to the overall circulating supply of CLNY and adjust to the favor of the player vs the investor. I just assigned some random numbers above without putting thought into a more fair system to the player. maybe modify the .01 multiplier by say 5% of the total circulating supply and allocate 40% to the settler NFTs, and 55% to the land NFTs. These are just some initial thoughts.

Add-on:

The Aristrocrat NFT token are airdropped but are all tied to the land plot and fluctuate with upgrades and represent the voting power of the Land Owners. This is the uniqueness of this specialized token, and is transferred with ownership of the land plot, split up if the split up of plots for sale, renting a plot would yield no MGV (negotiable I think which could provide an incentive to renters).

Citizen NFTs are unique; engineer, farmer, scientist, etc. and maybe leveling them through missions could grant a higher multiplier of voting power and excelerate research, farming, engineering/production, etc. to demonstrate more influence and skillset for a colony.

CLNY is just money supply but should provide some voting power to the governance.

These are my follow-on thoughts.

Blockquote

3 Likes

that is a good question tbh
maybe the team could include the burned $clny to add to ‘vote power’
so it would be vote power = burned $clny+ current $clny
and burned $clny would be entitled to the land

2 Likes

@orracion6 agreed that it’s a good question :slight_smile:

Probably people who burned CLNY on improvements should have even more power than people that just hold CLNY, should it ? :thinking:

@TdxTri how it should be represented?

3 Likes

@TriTDX how it should be represented?

@father This is a good question. One to which I currently don’t have an answer to. Initial thoughts include landowners hold a unique token that is specific to land owners. The upgrades for each land can be calculated based on its current status of upgrades and the total combined upgrade value can be used to determine voting power in terms of colony. This raises an initial issue I posted somewhere else where CLNY is being used as the governance token, I think a separation of money supply / commerce is needed from the actual governance. The amount of CLNY held can certainly be factored into the governance (representative of the “Rich”) but should it should not be the driving factor in making decisions about direction? When adding NFTs that represent settlers come into play, these too will need to be considered into the governance as they will represent the citizens of Mars. I keep going back to the basic premise that this is meant to be a game, and yes, money (investment) is involved, the governance should be based on a representation of game play, where the players (users of NFTs, land and settler) are at the forefront of the decision making. CLNY is the money supply in the game, ONE is the vehicle used for the purchase of NFTs that support the gameplay.

Should the money supply be how the game is governed? Investors who have no real interest in the game, should have the least amount of say in the direction the game should go. I know this changes the original intent behind the use of CLNY as the governing token but I do think that the NFTs for settlers and land plots should be the driving force behind governance. A token that represents these are needed, where the outside holders of CLNY would be given a partial vote to the governance.

Because the intent of this game is to “Play and Earn” one should have to “Play” not just hold a token to have say in the governance of the ecosystem. There is no real skin in the game with folks who just buy and hold CLNY. So the concept of “Play” for addresses that just hold CLNY aren’t really “Playing”, they are just HODLing for a pay day.

Long story short, I think CLNY should not be used as the governance token. Perhaps something like “Citizen (Settler NFT)”, “Aristrocrat (land owner NFT)”, and “CLNY (Investor)” all have a share and weighted average based on “participation” in the ecosystem which then are used to provide and calculate a "MarsGovernanceVote (MGV) " token that is used for voting within the DAO.

Example:

Assumptions:

Citizen NFT receives 100 MGV
Aristrocrat NFT receives 250 (Initial Cost in ONE) MGV per landplot base + 1 MGV per CLNY spent on upgrades i.e. Basestation + level 1 Transport for a total count of 250 + 30 + 120 = 400 MGV which includes upgrades and base land plot value.
Investor (CLNY Holder) receives .01 per CLNY held of MGV

Player A owns 1 Citizen NFT and 1 Aristrocrat NFT which has a basestation and a level 1 transport, and holds 5000 CLNY in LP and wallet.

Player B owns 10 citizen NFTs, 2 Aristroctat NFTs [1 with a basestation + level 1 transport + level 1 powerstation + level 1 robot assembley] [1 with a basestation ] , and 250 CLNY in LP and wallet.

Player C owns 20000 CLNY in LP and Wallet

Player A receives: 100 + 250 + 30 + 120 + ( 5000 x .01 = 50 ) = 550 MGV
Player B receives: 1000 + (2 x 250 = 500) + (2 x 30 = 60) + 120 + 120 + 120 + (250 x .01 = 2.5) = 1922.5 MGV

Player C receives: 20000 x .01 = 200 MGV

A system for balancing this all out could be established to give Player A + B more of a say and it could be tied to the overall circulating supply of CLNY and adjust to the favor of the player vs the investor. I just assigned some random numbers above without putting thought into a more fair system to the player. maybe modify the .01 multiplier by say 5% of the total circulating supply and allocate 40% to the settler NFTs, and 55% to the land NFTs. These are just some initial thoughts.

Add-on:

The Aristrocrat NFT token are airdropped but are all tied to the land plot and fluctuate with upgrades and represent the voting power of the Land Owners. This is the uniqueness of this specialized token, and is transferred with ownership of the land plot, split up if the split up of plots for sale, renting a plot would yield no MGV (negotiable I think which could provide an incentive to renters).

Citizen NFTs are unique; engineer, farmer, scientist, etc. and maybe leveling them through missions could grant a higher multiplier of voting power and excelerate research, farming, engineering/production, etc. to demonstrate more influence and skillset for a colony.

CLNY is just money supply but should provide some voting power to the governance.

These are my follow-on thoughts.

6 Likes

I like this idea, looks like a more fair way via the MGV token and allocated as per participation like in the player A, B and C examples. But will the aristocrats NFTs be airdrop to the land owners or be only available to purchase to the owner of the same land ID? Because otherwise someone could just buy more aristocrat NFTs and skew the votes.
Also I think Citizens NFTs should have professions like engineers for robots and machinery, farmer, worker etc… And have traits than allow them to have advantages and disadvantages over some situations or operations in the game, perhaps increment the MGV yields depending on the Citizens type could be good too.

Very good and fair weighting system for the governance Tri!

Citizen NFTs are unique , engineer, farmer, scientist, etc. and maybe leveling them through missions could grant a higher multiplier of voting power to demonstrate more influence and skillset for a colony, and like the Aristrocrat token, is transferred with the sale of the NFT. Hiring of an NFT will bring no additional voting power but only provide a skillset that may be required for research advancement, higher farming throughput, or other specialized functions I haven’t thought of yet.

These are my follow-on thoughts. None of these tokens can be sold. They are simply representative of voting power for governance.

3 Likes